Moving? Make Sure to Update Your Address with USCIS

If you have filed an application with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) and you move to a new address it is important to notify them of the change. If you do not notify USCIS of your change in address, you risk your notice or card being misdelivered or returned to sender, which could result in a delay of you receiving the notice, or even worse, it could become lost within the USPS system.

The law requires that most non-U.S. citizens report a change of address within 10 days of moving by completing a Form AR-11, Change of Address. You must complete Form AR-11 to notify USCIS of their new address on a pending case online at

If you have filed any application or petition with USCIS, and it is still pending a decision, you should keep USCIS and your immigration attorney informed of any change of address so you can continue to receive any notices or decisions. You can now do this electronically on the USCIS website for most applications and petitions at the same time you electronically complete your Form AR-11.

It may seem daunting to update something with the government. You may worry you could do it wrong. No worries! This process is quick and painless. You don’t need to wait on your attorney to update, you can do it on your own!

When changing the address associated with any pending cases you need to know for electronic Form AR-11 :

  • New and old address
  • Receipt number of pending application(s)
  • Full name, date of birth, country of citizenship, and current non-immigrant status of applicant (if not yourself)

Any notices or documents USCIS sends to you are considered official Government mail. If your name is not on the mailbox and/ or registered with the local U.S. Postal Service Office, the Postal Service may not deliver official Government mail to you. Please remember to register your name and new address with the local post office and to put your name on your mailbox.

In short, make a habit of updating your home and mailing address(es) with USCIS as soon as you move. You can find this and more information on our website at: or call us at 919-830-0840.

Schedule a Consulation