Naturalization is the process by which U.S. citizenship is granted to a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills the requirements established by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). Except for certain U.S. military members and their dependents, naturalization can only be granted in the United States.
A Brief Guide to Naturalization [U.S. Citizenship]
Bashyam Global Immigration Law Group assists U.S. permanent residents or “green card” holders navigate through the citizenship process. You may qualify for U.S. citizenship if:
- You have been a permanent resident for at least 5 years;
- You have been physically present in the United States for at least 2.5 of the last 5 years;
- You are a person of good moral character during the last 5 years;
- You have resided in the state you are applying for at least 3 months prior to application; and
- You can pass the English reading and writing portion of the exam, as well as accurately answer questions on the history and government of the U.S. More information about these requirements can be found here- https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/naturalization-test. Some exceptions to this requirement may apply based on your age and the length of time you have been a permanent resident.
Alternatively, you may qualify for US citizenship if:
- You have been a permanent resident for 3 years or more and meet all eligibility requirements to file as a spouse of a U.S. citizen.
- You have qualifying service in the U.S. armed forces and meet all other eligibility requirements.
- Your child may qualify for naturalization if you are a U.S. citizen, the child was born outside the U.S., the child is currently residing outside the U.S., and all other eligibility requirements are met.
- Your child may also qualify for naturalization if you are a permanent resident who naturalizes to a U.S. citizen, and your child is under the age of 18 and is living with you in the United States as a permanent resident in your custody for at least 2 years.
For additional information, please contact our office. We will help you determine whether you qualify for U.S. citizenship and guide you through the citizenship process. Contact us at Bashyam Global LLP to schedule the consultation today.